People always ask, “Do you recommend we get a car in Hawaii?”…the answer is “YES!”. On all the outer islands like Maui, Kauai, and Hawaii (Big Island) a rental car is a must have. Unlike Mexico and the Caribbean, you’ll want to go out and explore the island on your own. There are so many things to see and do, and you’ll need your own wheels to do it. Rental cars on Oahu are considered optional due to the close proximity of lots to see and do in the heart of Waikiki, however, I like to have one there too even if it’s just for a couple days…it’s such a beautiful island outside of the hustle and bustle of Waikiki. Also, rental cars are relatively cheap in Hawaii, we have been selling rental cars for under $230 a week for over 20 years…let’s hope it stays that way!
Some things to remember when renting cars:
- The rental car must be returned at the same time on the last day as the day you picked it up, otherwise the rental car company will charge you overtime.
- Check with your insurance agent about your rental car coverage before you go. The rental car company will be very convincing that you need to buy their insurance when you go to pick up the rental car. Insurance through the rental car company can cost you as much as the rental or more.
- Don’t accept the gas option, it’s silly to prepay for gas that you may not use. Just say no and fill the rental car up with gas before you return it. The only way you might be okay with the gas option is to bring the car back on fumes, & that’s not a good idea!
- If you wreck the car and you didn’t buy the rental car insurance, you are liable for the repairs. You could also be liable for the time the rental car is out of service…some insurance policies don’t cover this part, so make sure you know before you go.
- Hawaii is a safe place to visit, unfortunately there are people everywhere that prey on tourists. Do NOT leave valuables in sight in the rental car, if you do it’s very likely you will lose them, and the car may get damaged in the process.
Different types of rental cars available in Hawaii:
- Economy Car – Mitsubishi Mirage or similar
- Compact Car – Nissan Versa or similar
- Midsize Car – Hyundai Elantra or similar
- Standard Car – Volkswagon Jetta or similar
- Fullsize Car – Nissan Altima or similar
- Premium Car – Nissan Maxima or similar
- Luxury Car – Cadillac XTS or similar
- Convertible Car – Ford Mustang or similar
- Minivan – Dodge Grand Caravan or similar
- Midsize SUV – Nissan Rouge or similar
- Standard SUV – Hyundai Santa Fe or similar
- Fullsize SUV – Chevrolet Tahoe or similar
- Premium SUV – Chevrolet Suburban or similar
- 2 Door Jeep – 2 Door Jeep Wrangler
- 4 Door Jeep – 4 Door Jeep Wrangler
We would love to help you plan your Hawaii Trip! All of our rental cars include all the taxes and fees, plus you also get one free additional driver! The only thing not included would be gas, insurance, GPS, and car seats…all of these are options you can add when you pick up the car, and you will pay the rental car company direct for these additional fees. Call today! 800-315-1812